Home > Facility


Conway Hall and Fischer Hall

outside view of Fischer Hall

Fischer Hall
(Notre Dame's London Centre)

Notre Dame's Fischer Hall is a beautiful Edwardian style building right in central London.  The facility is located on the northwest corner of Trafalgar Square.  English Heritage lists Fischer Hall as a Grade II building, meaning it has been placed on the Statutory List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, warranting every effort to preserve it. It has served as Notre Dame's base of operations since 1998, and is where students take classes.  


The first building on this site was build in 1823 to provide accommodations for the new United University Club, a private gentlemen's club for members of the universities of Oxford and Cambridge.  Due to the increasing size of the club, the entire property was rebuilt on a larger sac are in 1906 and had two expansions in 1924 and 1939.  The building was later occupied by Coutts & Co. private bank, and later by the British School of Osteopathy.  Notre Dame acquired the building in 1997 thanks to Mr. Charles Kennedy Fischer. 

Academic Facilities 

Classroom inside Fischer Hall

Fischer Hall has 10 classrooms, groups study rooms, an undergraduate library, computers, and printers.  There is an Common Room that has plenty of seating, vending machines, and a ping pong table.  There is also a student kitchen in the basement.  

Conway Hall Conway Hall exterior view from doorway

Conway Hall is the residence building for Notre Dame students in London.  It is situated south of the River Thames, in the vicinity of Waterloo Station, King's College London, and the city's cultural Southbank Centre, and is a 15 minute walk from Fischer Hall. English Heritage lists Royal Waterloo House as a Grade II building, meaning it has been placed on the Statutory List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, warranting every effort to preserve it. 


The original building at 51-55 Waterloo Road was constructed in 1823 as the Royal Waterloo Hospital, a dispensary for children in the City of London.  In 1852 it became the Royal Infirmary for Children and Women, an inpatient care facility.  At the turn of the century, the hospital was rebuilt in a renaissance style.  As a listed building, many of the features still stand today: a locally sourced Doulton-ware porch, a turret bearing the Royal Arms, and the hospital's name above the three-tiered terra-cotta loggia.  

Notre Dame acquired and restored the building in 2011-12.  It is named after Robert Conway, a Notre Dame alumnus, member of the Notre Dame Board of Trustees, and former chair of the Board's academic affairs committee.  Prior to Conway Hall, students lived in rented accommodations in Bayswater and Islington, both around 3-3.5 miles north of Trafalgar Square.  


Conway Hall kitchen and common area Conway Hall bedroom for 2Flats accommodate between 6 and 12 individuals and contain fully furnished kitchens, living rooms, bedrooms, and bathrooms.  Kitchens are equipped with essential cooking and serving equipment so that students can choose to make their own meals.  Each resident is also provided with a set of linen and towels. 

Other Amenities 

Washing facilities are located on the ground floor of Conway Hall.  There are 5 washers (£2) and 5 dryers (£1).  Irons and ironing boards are available free of charge. Students must purchase their own detergents and softeners.  

Conway Hall has a back patio and garden, as well as a Student Activities Center with two 60" flat screen televisions.  There is a study room on each of the six floors of the Waterloo wing; they include multiple workstations and power outlets.  

Conway Hall interior Chapel Conway Hall has its own chapel that can be used for private prayer and services.  

Wireless Internet is available throughout the building.  Wireless printers are available throughout the building, free of charge.  

The building is staffed by 24-hour security guards.